Monday, April 27, 2015

Touch Down

We've made it; we're in Kyrgyzstan!

After over 36 hours of travel and three different planes,we're finally here in Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan. We traveled with 60 people, 120 pieces of luggage, and only ten of us have all their luggage. We think our luggage got caught up in Frankfurt because our connection time was short and the plane was much smaller than any of the other international flights. Oh well, here starts the ready to be adaptable component.

Luckily I packed about two pairs of pants, four shirts, sweats, a dress and all my electronics in my two carry-ons.  I can make do for a while, people will just see me in the same clothes for the next few days. The luggage I did get has all my winter clothes and boots. Not very helpful since it's going to be in the 70s and 80s. Hopefully today our luggage comes.

The first day of arrival, April 26th, we started off things with a bang. We got overviews of safety and security, core expectations, and language training. That was fun to try to learn a language at the end of a three-day travel period. Everyone was so tired, but we managed to absorb things.

The second day we broke out into groups and worked on language and cultural norms.

Our language groups are made up of six people with two groups in each village we live in for preservice training. Sometimes our teachers will come together and co-teach making our classes twelve large. I will be living in the city Ivanovka and can't wait to be outside.

So far during travel we've been in hotels or on planes and it still seems surreal. Today we get to meet and go home with our host families. It's very exciting and nerve-wracking. We've only had two days of language, but managed to learn a lot. I'll probably be referencing my notes until I get things completely down.

For now, I'm taking advantage of the shower, wifi, and speaking English. This evening, everything will change.

I will probably be out of contact for a while as I learn the language and figure out how to buy data for my phone and an internet hot spot.  And if they will even work. Who knows when I'll be able to update again, but I'm here!

Things are going good and this view today of clear skies and snowcapped mountains definitely made it even better!


No comments:

Post a Comment